The Northern Region Water Board has agreed with AGFund to utilize the prize money to expand the scope of the original project by implementing a project in Mzuzu within 8 months from August 2020.
The overall objective of the project is to increase access to potable water for the communities of the peripheral areas of Mzuzu City.
The specific objectives are:
- To install water distribution pipelines in the south-west peripheral areas of Mzuzu City
- To construct demonstration ventilated improved pit latrines at selected public schools
- To build capacity of the beneficiary communities to operate and maintain the water supply and sanitation facilities at community level and
- To disseminate best practices from the award winning and current projects.
The project is being implemented in the south-west peripheral areas of Mzuzu City namely Lusangazi and Sonda areas. The following are the main activities being carried out in order to achieve the set objectives
- Sensitizing and educating customers and the general public on the proposed project.
- Installing 4.5km and 18.5km of pipelines pipeline in Sonda and Lusangazi respectively.
- Constructing 2 ventilated improved pit latrines at selected public schools in Lusangazi area.
- Constructing 3 and 2 communal water points at Lusangazi and Sonda areas respectively.
- Conducting capacity building sessions for the communities in the proposed project areas so that they are able to manage the facilities to be constructed under the project at community level.
- Disseminating best practices from award winning and current project to various stakeholders.